Now that I’ve made this recipe twice and have further perfected it, I figured it’s “decent” enough to share with the world. I’ve made quite a few different stroganoffs, and have kinda mixed a bunch of different recipes together into something more “my own.”
So the back story behind this is that I really freaking love beef stroganoff. The creamy, beefy goodness just calls to me. And though typically served with egg noodles, I’m honestly just as satisfied having this with zoodles. Most of the low carb versions of this seem a little boring as they don’t typically include cream cheese, which I think really gets rid of a lot of the flavor. Yes, it makes it higher in fat… but with low carb foods, the goal is for low carb content and high fat and protein generally. With only about 5 net carbs and 20g of protein per serving, it’s serving it’s purpose. My stroganoff is not super thick, so if you serve it with zoodles, they soak up some of the extra moisture. I’ve also got this labeled as “6 servings” but honestly, that’s just a guesstimate. You can just times the nutritional info (which is approximate based on MyFitnessPal’s recipe creator) by 6 to get the facts of the entire dish and go from there. I’m also going to be honest and say that the seasoning measurements are also kinda a guesstimate. I’m not a huge fan of wasting the tiny measuring utensils, so I just kinda throw things in. You can add more or less depending on your tastes.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 spoonfuls minced garlic
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 8 oz fresh baby bella mushrooms
- 1/4 cup white cooking wine (you can use water or more broth if you don’t have any)
- 1/4c beef broth
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tbsp minced onion
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp beef bouillon powder
- 1 1/4 cup sour cream
- 4 oz cream cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt half the butter in a pan over medium heat with the minced garlic.
- Add ground beef and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until brown.
- In another pan, melt the other half of the butter. Add the mushrooms, wine, and broth, and cook until the mushrooms are soft. Add in parsley, minced onion, onion powder, and bouillon.
- Remove pan from heat and add in sour cream and cream cheese. Stir until the mixture is smooth and there are no more lumps of cream cheese.
- Return the pan to low heat and mix in the ground beef mixture.
- Serve over zoodles or another low carb noodle!